Friday, April 21, 2006

Summer Movie Season

With the big summer movie season just around the corner I was thinking to myself that there was only about 3 movies I knew off that I was really "excited" about seeing. Well, Entertainment Weekly's annual Summer Movie Preview arrived in my mailbox today...and I was right. There isn't too much I'm looking forward too this summer! Here's a preview of some of the flicks coming to the multiplex this summer:

Mission: Impossible III (5/5) I continue to not care less about this franchise, I've never seen a frame of the other two and I don't plan on starting with this one! I predict that this is the beginning of the end for Mr. Cruise. We're all sick and tired of hearing about his looney girlfriend, his looney baby and his even loonier religion! Plus, Mr. Cruise, you owe me the two and half hours of my life you took last summer with that War of the Worlds piece of junk!

X-Men: The Last Stand (5/26) Same kind of applies here as with MI:3, ain't jumping on board for this one. I'm sure the video game based on the movie is great, HOLLER!, but besides X-Men Candy Sticks I don't have much interest in this group of....Superheros!? What are they!? I don't even know...Mutant Superheors or something!? Whatever!

Over the Hedge (5/19) Now that we know that Dreamworks animated films are just silly comedies and not the works of art Disney animated films are, I might be able to enjoy this film. It's a CG cartoon with animals that do wacky things and it has a great voice cast: Garry Shandling, Steve Carell, William Shatner, Bruce Willis, and Avril Lavigne.

Poseidon (5/12) This is another film version of the novel The Poseidon Adventure. You know it's more intense than the 1972 version because they dropped the word "Adventure". So take that! It's about a big cruise ship that sinks! It was directed by Wolfgang Petersen who also did "The Perfect Storm," was to go out on a limb there, Wolfie! It's Crap!

Just My Luck (5/12) Pros: Stars Lindsay Lohan. Cons: Not a remake of a silly old Disney film. Verdict: I'd still see it!

The DaVinci Code (5/19) My wife and I have earmarked this as the one "grown-up" movie that we are going to try and go see this summer. After watching 78,000 stories on the Today Show about this book, I'm kind of intrigued to find out what it's about! Not enough to actually read the book, but enough to go see the movie! I did read the last book Tom Hanks made into a movie: The Polar Express.

Hoot (5/5) I saw the trailer for this movie the other day and thought it looked kind of cute. It's about some kids who band together to stop some evil land developers from tearing up some land that is home to endangered owls. Even though I hate owls, I love stories with evil land developers! Plus it's got Jimmy Buffett as the kids teacher, and I just found out it was based on the book by Carl Hiaasen. Now I have read some of his stuff so I get points for that! I might have to move this movie to my "must-see" list!

Superman Returns (6/30)Superman is basically a cartoon character and an American Icon just like my boy Mickey! So, I kind of feel for the guy. And, just like everyone else my age I grew up watching the Christopher Reeves movies. And, like every guy...deep down inside I think Superman is a cool dude! So, it's got a lot going for it, plus the cast includes Kate Bosworth (so hot,) Parker Posey, and screen legend Eva Marie Saint.

Nacho Libre (6/16) Jack Black stars as a....I'm sorry, did you say Jack Black!?!...NO THANK YOU!

Cars (6/9) This is the one that I'm most excited to see! I loved all the Pixar films up until The Incredibles, I was very disappointed with that one. But I'm ready to embrace Pixar again with open arms. Plus it will be very fun because my 2 1/2 year old son is VERY excited to see it as well! The cast features Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, and Larry the Cable Guy. There's a line up!

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (6/16) Are you %&#$in' kidding me!?

Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (6/16) The only thing unfunnier than the last 15 years of the Garfield comic strip will be this sequel.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (7/7) Part of what made the original so great was that it was way better than anyone thought it would be. Can they do that again!? It's the same director and cast as the 2003 movie, so maybe they can. I just hope they are still able to incorporate aspects of the Disneyland ride into the movie.

Miami Vice 7/28) When you think of Miami Vice, what do you think of!? The song, right!? Well...there's no song here! Second clue of disaster: the director is quoted as saying, "We're doing Miami Vice as if there never had been a television series." Really? Because there was a television series, and that's why people would go see a movie BASED on a television series! Idiots! Flop!

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (8/4) Will Farrell as a NASCAR driver, `nuff said! My wife and I saw this trailer on TV the other day and laughed out loud through the entire thing! It's from the same director as Anchorman, so it's off the a good start right there!

Snakes on a Plane (8/28)Like everybody else, all I really know about this movie is that it stars Samuel L. Jackson and it's called Snakes on a Plane. I think this one is going to be huge. If you don't believe me, Google the title and look at all the internet buzz on this flick! It's got snakes, you see, and they are on some sort of plane!!!

Any flicks you're excited to see this summer!? Feel free to comment!?

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: