Friday, August 25, 2006

Memories of Little Eats


My brother has commented on my memory and my ability to remember things from my/our childhood in great detail. Well, my secret is that I never filled my brain with useful information like math or history or that other stuff they teach you in school. Instead I've kept my mind free to remember things like all the different time slots The Facts of Live aired in. All that aside, I'm sure my brother also has little (if any) recollection of this unique restaurant we are dining in.

This was a kid's only restaurant in a Holiday Inn in Orlando, Florida that we visited in 1982. I was 8 years old, my brother was 5. The restaurant was inside the regular restaurant of the hotel, but it was completely separated with little kids size doors and little windows to keep an eye on mom and dad (or I guess for them to keep an eye on us!) Of course it was decorated kid-friendly and it had it's own wait staff that had to duck down to be able to clear the kid-friendly ceiling. I don't remember what we ate (although I would guess my brother had a hot dog and I had a hamburger) but I do remember after the meal they showed cartoons. This was right before VCR's so they rolled out a good ol' fashioned projector and played Yogi Bear cartoons up on the wall. Awesome!

I also remember that this Holiday Inn was across the street from a new amusement park being built called Little England. Little England was never finished I much later found out, as they had imported lumber from England to build the structures for the park and the British wood could not withstand the blazing heat of the Florida sun. The park practically melted before they could finish it. The project went bankrupt and the park was never built.

I'm sure by now you've already made you own jokes about the pants I'm wearing in this picture. Let's just say If I wanted to play professional golf in those pants they wouldn't look so tacky!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pants are tacky, but you were wearing ringer shirts before ringer shirts were cool.

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: