Sunday, September 17, 2006

Caution: I Love the Holidays

A word of caution to my readers as we enter the end-of-year Holiday Season...I Love the Holidays! I'm sure there will be quite a bit of holiday related posts coming your way in the next few months. I love the anticipation that builds up to each holiday. I love decorations, I like the foods that are associated with each holiday, and most of all I love holiday TV specials! I've always been this way but now that I have kids the holidays are even twice as fun!

Halloween is fun, picking out costumes for the kids and all the candy there is to be had! I love Fall Festivals and the pumpkin patch. Hot Apple Cider, hay rides...I'm a sucker for all that stuff. And of course there's the annual viewing of IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN.

At Thanksgiving the house smells so good with all the food that's been cooked. It's great to have a day where everyone just sits around and does nothing (except whoever is cooking all the food!) The day after Thanksgiving used to be a great day on television with lots of specials and good movies on, but that's kind of died out in the last few years. My new Thanksgiving tradition is Black Friday. My wife and I love getting up before the crack of dawn and being at Wal-Mart or Target (or whoever has the best sale) the day after Thanksgiving. We usually get 60% of our Christmas shopping done in a few hours! And you haven't lived until you've had a cheesesteak sub at 8:30 in the morning in a crowded mall food court!

And Christmas is just plain awesome! Santa Claus, Frosty, Rudolph...sign me up! I love Christmas light displays and train layouts. I'm sure once again I'll have grand plans for thousands of lights in my front yard, but after I set up the 8-foot inflatable Santa Mickey I won't feel like doing any more. Christmas candy, Christmas cookies, Christmas Fast Food promotions....I'm there! And of course so many great Christmas movies and TV specials. They don't do specials they way they used to, but luckily I have hours and hours of them on tape and DVD! I love the classics like A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS and MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL and some lesser known titles like CHRISTMAS COMES TO PAC-LAND and HE-MAN & SHE-RA's CHRISTMAS SPECIAL! Oh, and there's all that Peace on Earth, Goodwill Towards Man stuff too!

So that's just a little look at some of the stuff I'll be obsessed with over the next few months. As always, thanks for reading! Enjoy!

No comments:

Mobile Version Now Available!.

Follow @edsouth on Twitter!

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: