Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pie


This, right here my friends, was a snack! Hostess has been making a line of hand held fruit filled pie for years. The most popular flavors have been apple, lemon, cherry and blueberry. Sometime in the late 1980's someone at Hostess had the great idea of taking the small crust of their Fruit Pies, scooping out all the wholesome fruit and replacing it with thick delicious pudding. Then a few years later the fine folks at Hostess took their tasty pudding pies and dipped them in a neon green icing-like substance, slapped the ultra-popular Ninja Turtles on the packaging and snack food history was made. When you bit into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pie you could feel the years being shaved off your life with every bite! Nothing edible should be day-glow green, and nothing that is filled with pudding needs to then be dipped in something else. But Hostess did it, and God bless `em for it!

The great thing about eating one was that people would look at you like your crazy! Maybe it's because I was 17 years old when these came out, or perhaps it was just the unnatural shade of green that radiated from the pies. As you can see from the wrapper shown here, inside each wrapped pie you got free TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES II: THE SECRET OF THE OOZE trading cards. Can't you just imagine biting into your Ninja Turtle pie while looking through your collection of TMNT II movie cards, hoping to find a card with featuring Vanilla Ice making his cameo appearance in the film singing Ninja Rap!?!? Word to your mother!

I remember one morning on a bus ride to school, I was enjoying a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pie and my friend and I read the ingredients on the back of the wrapper! I vividly remember among all the unnatural ingredients listed...Locust eggs! That's right, I said Locust Eggs! After that, I think I had maybe one more pie before I decided that no matter how much butt Leonardo can kick, I wasn't eating locust eggs for no one!

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: