Saturday, December 02, 2006

South of the Border Billboards

If you've ever traveled to Disney World (or just Florida...I guess) by car then you are probably at least a little familiar with South of the Border, the Mecca of all that is tacky! SOB is located just a hair south of the North and South Carolina border on Interstate 95 and features gas stations, restaurants, gift shops, a small amusement park, and plenty of places to buy large quantities of fireworks. It's all very, very wild and wacky and oh so tacky kind of place. When I was younger I was completely captivated by the whole idea! I had South of the Border souvenirs and memorabilia all over my bedroom. It was during that time period that I picked up this rare book: "Pedro Presents South of the Border Award Weening Billboards." Pedro is the ultra-stereotypical Mexican amigo who serves as SOB's mascot. Back in the day, Pedro was featured on hundreds of billboards that lined I-95 all up and down the east coast. It used to be so much fun reading all the different billboards for the many hours before arriving at SOB. Now, there are probably about only 100 billboards that plug the spot in 180 miles in each direction. They are still fun, but not quite as fun as when there was a billboard every mile for hours on end. In the 90's the billboards were all changed to bring them to the correct level of political correctness, taking away another level of fun. Thanks to this book that I've managed to hang onto all these years, we can relive a little bit of the fun! (Actually, I'm pretty sure all four of these examples are still standing!)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Masterpiece. This, my friend, is the very reason Blog was invented.

Everyone else can stop blogging now. You've achieved the zenith point of the medium.

-Brian

ps. Pedro sez: You Never "Sausage" A Place!

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: