Friday, March 02, 2007

Snoopy's Choice

This picture shows a number of grocery store items that Snoopy and the Peanuts gang have appeared on all over the world. There's peanut butter from Australia, Cola from England and even corn snacks from Japan. But right smack dab in the middle of all this international goodwill is a little product fondly remembered as Snoopy's Choice Frozen Dinners! Few things go together as well as a tiny TV Dinner and a free Peanuts sticker! These tasty meals hit grocery store freezers around the time I was 17, however that didn't stop me from stocking the freezer with them every chance I got. Jeez, I'm such a sucker for products with cartoon characters on them! I was a huge fan of TV Dinners when I was younger, but these Snoopy meals which were probably aimed at grade school children had less than 1/3 the food a Swanson HungryMan dinner had. But really, in the end, isn't a free Snoopy sticker all you need to fill your tummy...and your heart!?!?

It's rare that my memory banks can stump the Internet, but I wasn't able to find a single image of these Snoopy's Choice meals anywhere online. There is barely a mention that the food ever existed! I was able to find this picture in a book called Peanuts The Home Collection: A Collector's Guide to Identification and Value. I tried to zoom in on the Snoopy's Choice products, but I'm no William Randolph Hearst when it comes to the ol' scanner and Photoshop and all the stuff! My zoom in here on the left offers nothing more than a larger, grainier look at Snoopy pointing to some unrecognizable food. For a really good tie-in, the microwavable food should have come in little red dog dishes! That would have made it all even cooler!

2 comments:

Log Lady said...

Oh my gosh, I have been trying to think of what these were called! I remember I begged my mom to get me the macaroni and cheese meals, and I hated eating them because they tasted disgusting - but the little trays with Snoopy on the bottom were awesome for my play kitchen.

WNY retail history said...

I was just Googling for the "Snoopy's Choice" TV dinners because a long time ago I saw these TV dinner kids meals advertised in an old magazine from the early 1990s. I think these meals were rather short-lived and this was the only thing that popped up on the Google search for "Snoopy's Choice TV dinners".

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: