Monday, September 03, 2007

In Pac-Man We Trust


Recently I mentioned my trip to Six Flags Over Georgia in the great summer of 1984 and a little remembered attraction known as Pac-Man's Play Port. I still haven't been able to find out much information about the kids themed area of the park except that a few of the other Six Flags parks had a whole Kiddieland section devoted to Pac-Man. Anywho, my mom (who is always quick to get my crap out of her house by offering it to me as material for the blog) offered me these Pac-Man game tokens which she assumed were from Pac-Man Play Port. Alas, these tokens are from the 1982 World's Fair which was held in Knoxville, Tennessee. Pac-Man had a big presence at the `82 World's Fair and I remember it all quite fondly. There were several large gift shops throughout the fair selling all kinds of Pac-Man stuff. If I'm not mistaken, I got a Pac-Man elastic belt with a magnet buckle, it had Pac-Man chasing the ghosts, and dots and power pellets all around it. The Fair also boasted lots of arcades which were superhot at the time. These Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man tokens are just two of the seven that were produced for the fair. They are pretty cool. The image on the Pac-Man token is a popular graphic that was used on a number of items like lunch boxes and Frisbees.



And finally we leave you with this image from the 1982 World's Fair staring 9 year-old me along with my brother and a certain ghost chomping friend who mistook us for Inky and Blinky!








No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: