Monday, April 21, 2008

The Original Ace of Cakes

At some point on this blog I've mentioned my mom's cake decorating business that she had when I was growing up. She quite literally probably made the cake for every birthday party I went to between the ages of 5 and 13. She used to have a photo album of all the cakes she had done, which kind of served as a catalogue for customers. Recently we found a handful of those pictures and they fit right at home here on WWoB, because each one is a little tasty treat of pop culture goodness!

That's tight! I'm sure this was for one of my birthdays. I wonder if she still has the pan?



This Princess Lea cake was for the girl across the street. Judging from the number of candles, the year was 1978 making this one of the first wave of Star Wars cakes.


Ahhh...I had many Smurf cakes throughout the years. This one is especially colorful and was made by tracing a picture out a coloring book onto rice paper. Then coloring it with icing on top.

My mom also made several Pac-Man cakes over the years, although probably only one for me. This cake also has little ghost-monster cupcakes with it. Ain't that cute?

Now this Pac-Man cake is based on the Atari 2600 home version of the game. I can remember my mom watching me play while she sketched down the pattern of the screen. Ya gotta love the attention to detail. Happy 12th Birthday Who Ever This Cake Was For!!

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: