Thursday, January 22, 2009

2009 Movie Preview

My local newspaper ran a pretty good AP piece about all the big movie projects scheduled to be released in the new year. Here's some of the interesting projects:


  • Confessions of a Shopaholic Silly romantic comedy...I know! But I gotta admit, I likes me some Isla Fisher. (pictured) I've enjoyed her in her work I've seen so far, especially the underrated Hot Rod, so I'm interested to see her in a lead role. Oh, and did I mention she's easy on the eyes?!?


  • All About Steve Sandra Bullock in a romantic comedy about a crossword puzzle creator looking for her one true love. Way to step out of the box, Sandy!


  • Fast and Furious There have been alot of creative sequel names lately, but you can't just take the "the's" out of a title and pass it off as a different movie. And, who ever heard of the original cast only coming back to do the fourth film? AND...who the hell is still watching these?


  • Friday the 13th I'm not a fan of this series, in fact I've only ever seen Part V, and that was 21 years ago and I still have nightmares about it. But, they are going to "reboot" this franchise and start at the beginning again. Everyone knows that half the fun of the Friday the 13th films is the fact that they are on #45. This movie is an insult to sequels everywhere!


  • Hanna Montana: The Movie I'm a sucker for any movie with "The Movie" in the title, and I'm a sucker for any movie based on a TV show. Throw in the fact that I loved The Lizzie McGuire Movie and I should be all over this one, but somehow I don't think I'm the target audience here. That's ok...that's what Netflix is for!


  • Monsters vs. Aliens We've seen this trailer so many times in the theatre that my kids are all ready to line up and see it. It's an animated comedy about the government getting together old B-movie monsters to fight off an alien attack. Looks really good!


  • Race to Witch Mountain When The Rock was making one bad movie after another I commented that he needed to do a Disney comedy to get him out of his rut, like Vin Diesel did. Well, he did and now he's back for another go around and he's bring back a classic Disney franchise out of the moth balls. I only hopped on the Witch Mountain train late in life, but they are really good films and I'm looking forward to this new one!


  • Bruno You may not be familiar with this Sacha Baron Cohen character but he's from the same BBC series that brought us Ali G and Borat. Big fan - you can bet this feature length outing about the gay Austrian fashion reporter is going to be side-splittingly funny!


  • G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Never really a big fan of G.I. Joe, but since it's from the 80's it still holds a special place in my heart. My favorite thing to do with my brother's G.I. Joe's when we were little was to tie a string up and have the figures slide down the line, so if they can work lots of zip-lines into the movie, I'm sold!


  • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs Oh, I'm praying my kids don't get the Ice Age bug!


  • I Love You Beth Cooper Hayden Panettiere gets her own film. I loved her in Bring It On: All or Nothing...where do I get in line?


  • Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian I was pleasantly surprised by the first one. My son is a big fan of both the first movie and the book it was based on. I'm sure we'll be here for the second chapter.


  • The Proposal Sandra Bullock in a romantic comedy about a book editor...Where does she find this stuff??


  • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen I think we can all agree this is a guaranteed good time at the movies. Summer 2011: Transformers vs. G.I. Joe...anyone with me on that one?


  • The Princess and the Frog A hand drawn Disney animated fairy tale! Not computer animated! It's been a while! I'm so there!


  • Year One A caveman comedy staring Jack Black and Michael Cera. Usually I'm on board for a good caveman comedy...who isn't? But I hate Jack Black more than words can describe, and I've said it once and I'll say it again...this Michael Cera kid (from Superbad) is not really funny. He's been in some funny movies, but I don't think he's all that special. Oh, and I hate Jack Black.

  • Star Trek My nerdiness for Star Trek only extends to the films, so I'm a bit excited for this new chapter which goes back to the beginning and tells the story of how the Enterprise crew came together. I'd still like to see another TNG film, though.

  • Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel Ladies and gentlemen...you read that right, The Squeakuel.


  • Old Dogs Get this, John Travolta and Robin Williams become the unexpected caretakers of 6-year old twins! I hope with your paid admission ticket you also receive a souvenir Old Dogs vomit bag.


  • Up I don't even need the details of a Pixar film to know I'll plop down my $10 bucks to see it. From the looks of the trailer, Up looks like the Pixar gang has outdone themselves yet again.

  • Tooth Fairy I've been reading about this movie for years. I think every major star in Hollywood has been linked to this project at one time or another. It ended up being made staring The Rock so we'll have to see how that goes for him.

  • Where the Wild Things Are It should be very interesting to see how director Spike Jonze brings this great children's book to the big screen in live action.

What movies are you looking forward to? Any ones you've heard of that I missed? Leave a comment!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does somebody hate Jack Black that much?! I mean, it's not like he's Andy Dick or anything!

Ladytink_534 said...

I plan on seeing Confessions of a Shopaholic when it comes out on DVD, I might watch Fast and Furious since Vin Diesel is in it, might watch Race to Witch Mountain and Ice Ag on DVD, probably watch Night of the Museum, Transformers, and The Princess and the Frog in theaters. Oh, and I'm curious about Where the Wild Things Are but I'll probably wait for the DVD.

amy@flexibledreams said...

I'll probably just use this post as my movie checklist for the year.

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: