Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Week In Movies - Eyes, Nose, & Head of State

Pinocchio (1940) I love just about all of Walt Disney's animated features - past and present - but Pinocchio ranks near the top of the list. It's always great fun to share these kind of movies with my children, it's like seeing it for the first time yourself. Elias and Tanner were completely taken by all the action, singing and dancing, and magic. The new DVD is fantastic, the picture on this 70 year old movie is just as crisp and beautiful as anything made today.



The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2000) I was flipping channels and came across this documentary near the beginning and ended up watching the whole thing. It's the story of Tammy Faye Bakker (later Tammy Faye Resner) who first came into the public eye with her husband Jim, as Christian televangelists. What made me stop and watch was the abundance of old early 80's television clips from their old PTL Network. I kept watching the movie because Jim and Tammy opened up a theme park in South Carolina and I'll eat up anything about amusement parks. (I visited the park in 1988.) The story of Jim and Tammy and the PTL Network was also fascinating because behind the scenes of the teleminsitry was a story about greed and the fight for control over a satellite. Back in the early 80's, PTL was only the 4th cable network to have a satellite in space. It's all a pretty interesting story. It was on the Logo Network...but that don't make me gay or nothing!

W. (2008) Here's the problem with Oliver Stone's docudrama about our 43rd president: If you're a fan of George Bush than you won't want to watch this movie filled with little facts and stories that the Republican party spent good money to keep secret, if you weren't a fan of George W. than you won't be too interested in rehashing any of that chapter in American history. What's left is a fairly boring, uneven look into the younger years of the man who "broke the world!" This movie was also a refresher course in "Why I Don't Watch Dramas".

1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

Haven't seen the last two but my husband went out and bought Pinocchio as a surprise for me. Does he know me or what?

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: