Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Week In Moives - Catch Up Edition

I didn't get a chance to post My Week In Movies before I went to Florida so here they are for the week starting Monday June 1...

Honey, I Shrunk The Kids (1989) My love for this movie has not shrunk over the last 20 years. I first saw this when it came out in theatres and I thought it was just great then, and I still think it's a really well done movie. If you're not familiar with this classic Disney film, a wacky inventor comes up with a machine that can shrink things down to the size of an ant. When his kids, along with the neighbor's children, accidentally get shrunk and thrown out with the trash...the four kids must venture across the backyard to reach their home. They eat from a giant cookie, they slide on grass blades, they sleep in Legos....it's a good time! I shared this gem with my kids to perhaps get them a little ramped up to check out an attraction in Walt Disney World based on the movie. At Disney's Hollywood Studios there is a Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Movie Set Adventure where once you enter everything is gigantic as giant blades of grass tower over you and you everyday objects are the size of houses. Well, the kids loved the movie and couldn't wait to check out the overgrown playground...which they also loved! I've gotta also mention that as much as I love this movie, I love it's 1992 sequel Honey, I Blew Up The Kid ten times more.



Spring Breakdown (2009) Watching this movie reminded me of why I stay clear of films that go directly to DVD. It was made at least two years ago and sat around on the shelf until it was quietly dumped onto home video a few weeks ago. The idea is promising: three woman decide to go to a Spring Break resort town and have the kind of experiences they didn't have as nerdy college girls. The cast is even more promising with Saturday Night Alumni Amy Poehler and Rachel Dratch along with Parker Posey but this film just doesn't cut it. The stars are all likable but the material is pretty flat. It even looks like half way though the movie, they knew it wasn't going to work and the last half hour was just thrown together and edited on someones laptop. Pretty bad. Rachel Dratch also co-wrote the script, and this film's failure didn't help her post-SNL career at all. I really like her, so hopefully she'll be able to get her act together and find another good project soon. As for this film, you'd be better off to skip on this unfunny mess.

No comments:

Mobile Version Now Available!.

Follow @edsouth on Twitter!

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: