Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Week In Movies - One Off The List

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) I have always wanted to see this movie, in fact it was in my list of 10 Movies I've Always Wanted To See that I posted back in September. So I was particularly excited that I got to experience this film on the big screen at a restored historic old theatre in Gettysburg. The epic running time on this comedy classic is close to four hours, which has been part of what has kept me away for so many years. I'm so glad I finally got to see it, it's a wonderful comic masterpiece that stars boatloads of comic legends. The story involves a hidden stash of stolen money and a group of strangers who all set off to find the loot. The main group of characters are played by Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hackett and Jonathan Winters. Spencer Tracy plays a cop, Jimmy Durante's in it, there's Ethel Merman, Dick Shawn, Jim Backus...the list goes on and on. Two of my very favorite older actors, Phil Silvers and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson also get mixed up in the zany action! There's also about 20 other familiar faces that pop up throughout the adventure. This movie was so much fun, and the monstrous length of the movie just flew by. The story is very focused and everyone looks like they are having so much fun that the entire picture was a joy to watch. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a DVD of the movie and watching it again real soon.

The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998) I mentioned last week that Lion King Mania was running through our household, so the kids and I decided to watch this direct-to-video sequel to the 1994 blockbuster. While Simba's Pride doesn't come anywhere near the original, it's still a pretty well done movie. The problem with alot of these Disney animated sequels is that they miss the point and soul of the first movie. Since The Lion King is a good guy vs. bad guy movie, the addition of new enemies for Simba and company to face keeps in line with the film's older brother. The songs here aren't memorable, but they aren't bad either. There's actually a pretty catchy fun little number in the middle of the movie, although I couldn't tell you the name of the song. Most of the original voice cast returns as well as some new B-list celebrities who help fill out the rest of the cast.

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: