Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Week In Movies - Some Traveling Music Please

Blue Crush 2 (2011) I was really looking forward to seeing this new direct to DVD movie. I love the first Blue Crush movie, and even though this is a sequel in name only I'm a sucker for silly DTV cash grabs and couldn't wait to see it. I'm not sure why I like the original Blue Crush so much, but whatever it is - it's not in this follow up. A girl goes to South Africa to follow in her dead mother's footsteps and surf all her favorite spots. Along the way there is one cliche after another. There's even some ultra-ridiculous subplot involving elephant poachers. I guess everything in South Africa comes back to poachers. Way too long, nothing interesting and by the time the film arrives at the obligatory surfing competition climax it's overstayed it's welcome by at least 45 minutes. A sad excuse for a film to carry on the distinguished Blue Crush name. (I hope they make another one!)

The Three Stooges Go Around The World in a Daze (1963) As I've mentioned before, I'm not a huge Stooges fan but something draws me to their movies. This outing has the threesome traveling across the globe with their rich employer in a loose adaptation/sequel to the original Jules Verne classic Around the World in 80 Days. The funny thing is, this picture isn't all that funny but it's a pretty good movie none the less. It has an interesting story to follow even though it doesn't really give Larry, Moe and Curley Joe too much to do. There's one scene where they get to do a routine but other than that it's mostly just slapping and knocking on the head - as usual. Apparently at this point in their careers, The Three Stooges were mostly a kiddie act and their films played for matinee audiences. Daze plays more like a good hearted adventure flick than a slapstick comedy. Sony Movie Channel is currently running a nice HD print of the film.

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: