Monday, January 02, 2012

My Week In Movies - The Rest of 2011

The Bishop's Wife (1947) I saw this holiday classic for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. I was glad that I revisited it again this year. Not only did I not get around to many other B&W Christmas goodies, this is just a really good Christmas movie. You can't go wrong with Cary Grant - and in a whimsical role as an angel sent to bring a couple back together - it's just one of the great classic films of all time. There's plenty of Holiday Cheer on hand including a terrific ice skating sequence, plenty of footage of old department stores and some nice caroling. A great holiday flick that I look forward to watching again next Christmas.

Deck The Halls (2006) It's hard to imagine there was a time as recently as 2006 that Danny DeVito and Mather Brodrick were allowed to headline a major studio film, but such was the case in this oft-aired Holiday tragedy of film making. DeVito and Brodrick play rival neighbors who argue over Christmas decorations. It starts out funny enough, but looses steam about 15 minutes in and then just meanders on forever with endless sequences of runaway sleighs, explosions and pratfalls. This is not a Christmas movie I will feel the need to revisit ever again.

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) I'm gonna admit, I didn't really want to watch this because there was so many other Christmas movies that I wanted to get to, but my kids really wanted to watch it and I'm not one to deny them Muppets. And after about 2 minutes into the film, I remembered how awesome this movie is. It's not in the same league as the first three Muppet movies, but it's a darn good Muppet production nonetheless!

Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) Basically the first movie, just reshuffled and with a different bad guy but in the end it worked. With a few solid laughs, some awesome action sequences and a breezy pace this silly sequel turned out to ultimately be satisfying.

Three Amigos! (1987) I always forget how much I love this movie. My kids saw it for the first time and they totally got it. It was a proud night of parenthood.

That's Entertainment (1974) Part film history lesson, part 70's time capsule; this is an ultra-entertaining look at the MGM Musical of Hollywood's Golden Age and it reminds you once again that "They just don't make `em like they used to!"

Good Luck Charlie, It's Christmas (2011) Yes, again. It was on Christmas Eve night and I ended up sitting on the floor with my wife and watching the entire thing again. I wasn't as productive as I should have been, hours before Santa's arrival, but I did laugh a dozen or so times again at this well done TV movie. I think I'll buy the DVD if it ever comes out.

December Movie Count: 14
Best New Movie: That's Entertainment
Best Rewatch: Ernest Saves Christmas
Worst Movie: Deck The Halls

Final 2011 Movie Count: 203 Movies!!!

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: