Sunday, November 26, 2006

Winter Wonderland Ride @ Fantasyland

One of my lesser known internal obsessions is a little defunct amusement park called Fantasyland. I apparently went there when I was about three years old, but I have no memories of the place what-so-ever. Fantasyland doesn't appear to be a fondly remembered and cherished family memory like Maryland's Enchanted Forest as I've been able to dig up very little about the park over the last few years. People that live near historic battlefields do not like things built anywhere near those battlefields! Fantasyland was built smack-dab in the middle of the Gettysburg battlefields, sitting only footsteps away from the National Park Service Gettysburg Visitor Center. It was a kiddie storybook land with displays of nursery rhyme characters and figures from children's literature. There were small rides for families to enjoy together, and the whole park appeared to have a homespun, low-tech appeal to it. The park closed in the early 80's, the land was purchased by the park service and all visible signs of the park were demolished.

A few years ago when I became interested in the park, I started snooping around the Gettysburg area and asking folks what they knew of the park. I never uncovered much but eventually uncovered where the park sat. Fantasyland's parking lot is now overflow parking for the Gettysburg Visitor Center. Making my way past "No Tresspassing" signs, I ventured into the woods beyond the parking lot. There are a few buildings still standing and a few walkways can still be made out. It's not creepy like an old abandon amusement park, it's just strange to be in thick woods and see a snack bar sitting in the middle of nowhere. (I did take some pictures which I'll have to find and share with you in a later post.)


Anywho, I love Dark Rides...Especially non-scary ones. And I'm sure this Winter Wonderland ride would have been a personal favorite of mine. I don't know anything about this ride except that I'd pay my weight in candy canes to take a ride on it. Just looking at this picture of the ride (from a brochure I have) I can only guess what kind of warped Christmas music echoed throughout the ride. Probably the kind of "It's a Small World" kind of song that gets stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Just like everytime I rode "Smurf Mountain" I'd end up spending the rest of the day humming that "la-la-la-la-la-la" smurf song and saying "I just love ice skating, It's so Smurfy!" Ahhh...memories!

1 comment:

aprilann07082@aol.com said...

I totally remember Fantasyland, and have photos. I loved Winter Wonderland. I remember it being cold inside, being dark but lit enough to barely see the track. The biggest thing was the mirrored disco ball hanging in the center. They had some kind of light on it so the little points of white that reflected from it looked like snow. What can I say, I was a kid and easily amused lol. Did you know there was and still is and Enchanted Forest still in upstate NY? I think it was Fantasyland that had the lollipop tree that would make wakeup calls to your hotel too.

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: