Monday, November 06, 2006

Yum! Lilo & Stitch Pizza Omelets

I'm a sucker for any food product that has a cartoon character printed on the box, and if it's a Disney character then it's definitely a bought item. And you may remember me mentioning my love of pizza based food items especially pizza omelets. So, imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon Disney brand Breakfast PizzOmelettes in the frozen food section of my local grocer. I love pizza omelets and I love Lilo & Stitch. Forget about the fact that most microwave egg products taste like silly putty, I threw a box of Lilo & Stitch Breakfast PizzOmelettes into my shopping cart. Here's the extra sad part: the Lilo & Stitch box had Double Cheese flavored PizzOmelettes while there was also another kind with pepperoni on it but that box had The Incredibles on it. Since I'm not really a fan of The Incredibles, I sacrificed my pepperoni for the Lilo & Stitch box. (Sad, I know!)

Yesterday I decided to finally open up the pizza omelet and give it a try. It's been sitting in the freezer for over a month but I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I had no expectations that this was going to taste anything but horrible. I think the words on the box "Soy/Cheese Blend" didn't sit with me too well! But since I really only bought this gross thing to take pictures of it and post them on the blog here, I figured I should make good on my investment. When I opened the frozen 100% egg white "crust" and saw what I was in store for, my mouth didn't exactly water. By the way, if you buy a grocery item and the box has a word describing the food in quotes...you might want to think twice. Lucky for me, my body is used to unnatural junk being poured into it so egg white "crust" wasn't really a concern.

And here's the PizzOmelette after it's 1:45 in the microwave. I think it actually looked better frozen! First I tore off a fork-full of the egg or egg "crust" as it were. It actually tasted like real eggs! I was surprised. But the mound of red and white still didn't look to appetizing. I had a feeling the pizza sauce was going to be god-awful. I dug into a piece with egg and the sauce and soy/cheese blend...Not bad...not bad at all! This almost tasted like a pizza omelet that you'd get in a restaurant. It sure didn't look like one, but the taste was close enough. My only complaint would be that the soy/cheese blend on top of the egg congealed to the point where it was hard to cut through it with a fork, other than that - tasty little breakfast!

Well played Disney...well played. The Lilo & Stitch pizza omelet ranks higher than the Monsters Inc. ice cream that had enough sugar in it to stun a racehorse and higher than the Kim Possible string cheese. Wait....what's that I see....? More Disney breakfast products in the freezer section.....
(oh...a tease for tomorrow's post!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice commentary - and the photos were a plus. I just learned of this item and the "reviewer" gave it a 9.5. It's low fat and low calorie - a Weight Watcher friendly breakfast, if that makes any difference to you. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I might give this a try.

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: