Sunday, December 03, 2006

Movie Tie-In Novels

You don't see movie novelizations at the book store too much anymore. When I was little, if I knew I wasn't going to get to see a movie in the theatre I'd try and get my hands on the movie tie-in novel, as it took most movies over a year to reach HBO. Yes, I spent my youthful hours reading ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING, SPACECAMP, and HOWARD THE DUCK instead of ever picking up a copy of HUCKLEBERRY FINN or THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE. Here's a couple of great titles off my shelf that I actually picked up in my later years. One of my all time favorite movies, GOIN' COCONUTS is the story of Donny and Marie Osmond's trip to Hawaii and all the wackiness that ensues. Look at all those crazy characters on that little island with Donny, Marie, and one great big smiling coconut! The cover promises "3600 smiles an hour" while the back cover insures "readers will be left helpless with laughter". That doesn't sound too pleasant, does it!? I snatched this baby up when I came across it at a used book store about 7-8 years ago. Only set me back fifty cents! I still have every intention of sitting down and reading it one day!

SNOWBALL EXPRESS is another one of my all time favorite films. The movie is 90 minutes of Dean Jones accidentally skiing down hills backwards. Sounds like a hard concept to translate onto paper, but not when you've got author Joe Claro at the helm. He also had the task of bringing MEATBALLS to paperback form, so you know he's good! The funny thing is, the movie SNOWBALL EXPRESS was already based on a book called CHATEAU BON VIVANT, so this is really a book based on a movie based on a book. Kind of makes your head hurt, don't it!? Only in the 70's would you find this tag line on the back of a book: "A fast, funny slalom through Laughland, based on the zany movie from Walt Disney Productions..." That's gold, right there!

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: