Wednesday, January 17, 2007

No One Told Me About the Spider...

...and other movie news!



Spoiler Alert! One of the best parts about being a daddy is that I've got some automatic movie going partners for the next 13 years or so. My older son is 3 years old right now, so that kind of limits the number of movies we can go see together but luckily I have the movie tastes of a 7 year old so that all works out well in the end! I hadn't been to the movies since early November and I had really been jonesing some theatre action so I took Elias to see CHARLOTTE'S WEB last night. Pretty good movie! It was Elias' first live-action movie (I think all he's seen are animated films) and he did really well following it and enjoying it. We had been reading a picture book version of the story at home so he was a little familiar with the characters. However our picture book only tells the story of how Wilbur the pig ends up at the farm he calls home. And I guess I saw the old 1972 animated CHARLOTTE'S WEB movie when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything about it (except that Paul Lynde played a rat).

So, we're sitting there watching the movie and it was entertaining and all, but I got starting to thinking, "Where is this going!?" And then they drop the bomb...Charlotte is not going to make it to the end of the picture! WHAT! Am I the only one who didn't know this going in? I think even Elias knew somehow! Fortunately there was no one else in the theatre last night, so I didn't have to do my usual "slumping down in my seat so I can wipe my eyes without anyone seeing that I'm teary eyed in a kids film" thing, like last year when we saw HERBIE: FULLY LOADED. (What!? Another story for another time!)

Anyhow, there's another movie coming out that I'm unexplainably excited for! There are about 4 or 5 old properties making their way back to movie theatres in the next couple of years. I'm really looking forward to the new POLICE ACADEMY movie this summer, and I can't wait to see what they do with next years SMURF movie, but this spring we'll get to feast our eyes on the brand spanking new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES movie. Now it's CG, not live-action like the previous three films, but it looks shelltastic! Kevin Smith is even in it! There's been a teaser trailer out for a while, but they just released a full trailer with clips from the movie. Take a look:


Simply put: AWESOME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed, really?! You didn't know about the spider? I'd like to suggest a couple of other films with surprise endings that you may want to avoid:

- Old Yeller
- King Kong
- The Passion of the Christ

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: