Friday, May 29, 2009

My Week In Movies - Ed Watches An Oscar Winner

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) Hold on to your seats folks, I watched a film that won the Academy Award for Best Picture, that's something that doesn't happen too often. (The only other best picture I've seen from this decade is Chicago.) For me, this film took a while to get going and even once it did I thought it was kind of hokey and even a little predictable by the end. I guess that what happens sometimes when a flick wins Best Picture and receives all the hype that comes along with the honor. It wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. About halfway through the movie a lightbulb went off in my head - Now I know why Meredith Viera loved this movie so much! She hosts the American version of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire! Duh!

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) This was the first movie from writer/director Keenen Ivory Wayans, a send-up of the blacksploitation films of the 1970's. I've don't think I've ever actually seen an honest to goodness blacksploitation film but I've always enjoyed this movie's Airplane-style humor. I hadn't seen it in a long while and figured I'd give it another look in anticipation of the new Wayans' comedy Dance Flick. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to file this movie under "Movies That Aren't As Good As I Remember Them". It has some good solid laughs along the way but not nearly as many as I thought. The story involves Keenen Ivory Wayans coming home to his old neighborhood to find out that his little brother has O.G.'ed. That's "Over Golded" as in too many gold chains around his neck! Wayans proceeds to gather up a bunch of tough guys from the neighborhood to take on Mr. Big, the crime boss who's running the city. The various fellas enlisted to help are all played by former blacksploitation actors such as Issac Hayes and Jim Brown. It's all in good fun, just a little bit slow by today's standards.

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: