Friday, April 15, 2011

My Week In Movies - Slow Week For The Movie Nerd


Revenge of the Nerds (1984) I saw this movie at a party in the 6th grade. That was 26 years ago, so I was due for another screening of this comedy classic. The problem with the popular box-office hit slob comedies like this and Porky's and Meatballs...is that I've watched so many rip-offs and knock-offs over the years that when I see the original, it feels like it's all been done a million times before. Still, this underdog story has it's funny moments and I'm sure if I had seen it six dozen times in my formative years it would have a special place in my heart. The cast includes Robert Carradine, Anthony Edwards, Timothy Bussfield (who I loved as the bad guy in Sinbad's First Kid) and a very early appearance by James Cromwell (credited as Jamie Cromwell.) There's also some great racial humor on display here that simply wouldn't fly in today's PC world. Bottom line, however, they just don't make `em like this anymore. Rated R for language and nudity.

No comments:

Mobile Version Now Available!.

Follow @edsouth on Twitter!

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: