Friday, June 23, 2006

Little Plastic Figures vol. 2


Today is the 100th post on "Mr. Ed's Wonderful World of Blog". I'd thought we'd celebrate by taking another visit to my little plastic figure collection and some of my favorite characters of all time!

The Smurfs probably started the whole "little plastic figure" craze. When the Smurfs made their U.S. debut in the early `80's there were more little Smurf figures than you could smurf a stick at! I probably had about 50 of these little guys...I'm sorry, did I say "HAD"...I mean "HAVE". I just can't seem to part with these little guys, even though besides this guy they are all in a brown paper bag in the storage room.

Gumby was very popular with my friends and I in the 6th grade. I'm not even sure where the whole thing came from except we used to call this one guy Gumby and then we discovered there was a cartoon of the same name. Gumby was the first character to make a "retro" comeback from obscurity. He hasn't been up to much lately, although they did do a Game Boy Advance game of Gumby not too long ago!

The Little Mermaid was one of the greatest movie going experiences of my life. I had loved all the Disney animated classics growing up, but they hadn't made any of the really good films during my lifetime. That all changed in 1989 when a couple buddies and I were laughed at for going to see a "girl cartoon movie." The Little Mermaid captured all that was magical and fantastic of the great Disney animated classics, and as a Disney fan, watching it for the first time was a jaw dropping experience. It was also the first Disney film in a long time to have a ton of merchandising!

ALF is simply one of my favorite shows of all time. It was a crazy concept back in 1986 to have a puppet as a character in a sit-com, and that's what drew me to the show. The show was consistently funny and a staple of my Monday nights for four years. Rewatching the shows season by season on DVD now, they have a wholesome timeless quality like The Flintstones and The Muppet Show that will keep them a favorite of mine for years to come!

When I was younger, I was always a fan of the cartoons that were harder to come by. The Pink Panther wasn't run as much as Bugs Bunny, Casper or Popeye, so he's always had a special place in my heart. I recently got a DVD set of all 130 some cartoons The Pink Panther made...having two kids, I've been able to watch about three of those cartoons.

Simply put, Mighty Mouse is the best superhero ever! He could kick Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and The X-Men all in the butt before lunchtime on any given day! We haven't heard anything from Mighty Mouse in a long time, with the exception of a Cheese commercial a few years back. I'd like to see a fully-animated big budget summer blockbuster Mighty Mouse movie! Of course I'd also love to see a big budget movie of the Snorks or Darkwing Duck....so who cares what I think, right!?

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: