Wednesday, June 24, 2020

The Disney Movie Marathon That I've Wanted to Do Forever but Never Pull Off

This is kinda silly, but I'm bored and I feel like writing. We're all bored, well those of us who understand the pandemic isn't over with, and maybe getting back to writing is something my mind needs right now. One thing my mind always needs is movies!

A "project" or challenge or maybe just "thing to do" that I've always wanted to complete was power through all the Walt Disney animated feature films in a row. I've started the idea several times, watching Snow White (1938) and then maybe getting to Pinocchio (1940) before forgetting about it or just moving on to other things. 

But now seems like a good time to try this little stunt once again. It will provide me with fodder for a blog post and there's not a whole lot we can safely do right now except sit on the sofa and watch TV. 

So the other morning, I just said to myself "stop overthinking it and just do it" and I threw my DVD of Snow White in and fired it up while I folded laundry. The thing is, I've seen a good majority of the 50+ Disney films we're talking about here so many times that I don't need to make each screening "appointment viewing." I can pop one in and get some stuff done if I want to or I can gather the kids and make an afternoon or evening out of it. 

So, Saturday June 20, 10:00am - while folding my daughter's laundry I watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs for the 37th time, and probably the third or fourth time as an attempt to kick off this streak.

What you have to remember when watching Snow White, is that up until then nobody had seen anything animated other than a silly 7 minute short. The sustain an interesting story for almost an hour and a half was simply crazy and of course Walt Disney and his team pulled it off.  Besides the sheer charm and delightful joy of this motion picture, it really works because it's basically 10 animated shorts, patched together to make one solid story. 

It doesn't feel episodic, but if you pay attention you'll notice that each scene in the movie plays out like it's own little short. Brilliant idea! Great movie! Still holds up, there's plenty of humor and cute critters as well as some true suspense and magnificent classic scenes. I'm not going to review the movie, you should have seen it by now. It's good.

If you haven't seen it, like most of the movies on this list - it's available on Disney+ streaming service, it also pops up on Freeform occasionally.

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: