Monday, September 25, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom! The picture to the right is my mom holding me up to blow out the candles on my awesome Mickey Mouse cake she made. This is from my 4th birthday party back in 1977. All my birthday cakes over the years have been made by my mom, in fact the same can be said for all the other kids in my neighborhood - their cakes were all made by MY mom. She used to run a cake decorating business on the side while she raised my brother and I. She made lots of awesome cakes over the years, and I thought I'd share a few with you today.

This Sesame Street cake is from my 3rd birthday, I can actually remember how excited I was about this cake. Probably because after we ate the cake I got to keep the little toys on top. Surprisingly, I don't have those little figures anymore but I do have my memories of my birthday in 1976!

I don't think this was my cake, I think my Mom made it for a friend's birthday but we took a picture of it because it was awesome. In the cake business you gotta be on top of the latest trends and nothing says 1982 better than Pac-Man. The picture is a little over-exposed, I had to fiddle with it digitally to bring some of the detail back. The side of the cake also has Pac-Man on it, he's chomping ghosts and dots. This ain't made from a pan or anything like that folks, this is from scratch!!!


We've mentioned the infamous Smurf birthday party of 1982 before. Here's the cake that went with that Smurfy party. Now the toy on this cake, I DO still have...thank you very much. It's a wind-up Jokey Smurf, he was my favorite smurf! And see...the cake says "Happy Smurf Day" instead of "Happy Birthday!" To a 9-year old Smurf loving dork like me, that was just about the coolest thing in the world!

Thanks for all the cakes, Mom! And thanks for everything else over the last 33 years! You're the best!

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: