Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Oh, Tron!

Tron was the first movie to cash in on the video game craze of the early 1980's. If you don't remember, Tron is a 1982 Disney film staring every kids favorite movie star Jeff Bridges. He plays a video game programmer who is working on a hot new game. Through a series of events, his character gets zapped into...a...computer and.....zzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh, sorry...I fell asleep just trying to tell you what the movie is about. Yes, it's that boring! In the 24 years since the film was released I've tried to sit down and watch it on several occasions and have yet to make it all the way to the end. I can't figure out what the heck is supposed to be happening in any of that film! I've either fallen asleep or been bored or confused to tears. Tron is historically significant as being the first movie to use computer generated effects. In 1982 these effects were totally mind-blowing! People didn't care about the plot of the movie, they were just dazzled by the 3-D computer animation. Nowadays, Tron looks about as technically advanced as an unfinished Coco Krispies commercial!

Tron did, however, bring us two wonderful things. It spawned the first video game based on a movie, and what a game it is. Tron remains one of my all-time favorite video games. Even though I can't understand the movie, I loves playing that game! The video game has four different games within it. One of the games is a "lightcycle" race which is the only game that I've ever seen in the film. The other three games must be based on stuff that happens after the first 20 minutes of Tron, because I don't know what they are...except fun! By the name of Jeff Bridges, That's a good game! The Tron video game was long ago edged out of arcades by Mortal Kombat and Mario Bros. so it's hard to come by. But, if you're ever in the mood to assume the electronic likeness of Jeff Bridges go to Ocean City, MD. In Marty's Playland (the first arcade you encounter on the boardwalk) in the right-hand side back corner you will find a vintage Tron machine waiting for you.

Another great form of entertainment that was born from Tron was a very special performance that you and your family could experience together. I, myself, did not witness this spectacle but can only wish that I could trade my memories of DUCKTALES ON ICE for memories of this...

No comments:

People Who Have Wasted Their Time Here: